Welcome to Directory of Destinations
I write a regular series in the Mail on Sunday travel section entitled “Six things you must do in…” This web site is based on articles from that series, and my extensive portfolio of travel writing for the Sunday Times, The Times and other publications since the 1980s.
I try to include a range of activites and diversions that might interest the perceptive traveller who is looking for something beyond the main contents pages of the guide books, with a selection of bars and good restaurants thrown in.
Six things to do in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, place of the gazelle, is less frantic than its neighbour Dubai. The biggest of the emirates is a destination on its own.
The star-crossed landscape of England
The Lake District? Think Austrian Alps, Italian lakes and Norway's steep U-shaped valleys, packed into a precious piece of England just 35 miles across. And now the BBC is to adapt Arthur Ransome's much loved children's saga Swallows and Amazons, set in Lakeland.
- Avignon the ancient entry to Provence
- Gran Canaria
- Harrogate’s steps up a gear after Le Tour finish
- Basel - entry-level Switzerland on the Rhine
- Mallorca moves up-market
- Zurich - best city in world to live
- Good News from alphabet-topping city
- Elemental music on Croatia’s crinkly coastline
- Heart of Britain’s newest landscape treasure
- More than golf at gateway to Wales
- Shop in style on broad boulevards of...Lancashire
- Islands to play the carefree castaway
- Tenby - Victorian destination of distinction
- 24 hour pedigree of an overlooked French city
- Fjords Perfect
- Beat over the Mersey to a polished peninsula
- Cathedral city gem on the river
- Let the Good Times Roll - once more
- Jet black town with a rosy, Gothic future
- The high-speed Canterbury story
- A new dazzzle in the deep south of Italy
- Prague springs eternal
- Green and airy city on the Pacific
- Pint sized county offers a Magnum of a visit
- Central county too often overlooked